Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Sticks and stones...

There's no question that words can cut deeper than physical injuries. Those closest to us know our weak points and they have the ability to throw salt on our deepest wounds. Do we let this happen? If so, why so we let this happen? Should we forgive those who hurt us the most? When is enough enough? When is a dynamic harmful and when is it just the natural friction of a close relationship? Unfortunately, I've had to ask myself this question too often in life. I come from a place of high drama and as a result I've been exposed to a lot of conflict. This is not a happy place for me. There is nothing I like less than conflict and hurtful drama. It is my preference to get along and if this is not possible, to at least manage disagreements with love, respect and kindness. My favourite therapist says we should use our emotions to guide us and that our bodies will never lie. If we feel sick, hurt, angry etc. we should heed these signs and address what isn't working in our lives. Well, this includes interactions and people. It's not easy making tough decisions, but honouring ourselves is infinitely more important than being the nice guy and letting people walk all over us. I guess we can try to assert new boundaries and make requests for new behaviour, but if this doesn't work, we may have to say some big "no's". As the saying goes, we have to teach people how to treat us and if that doesn't work, we have to take care of ourselves first and foremost, whatever this may demand we do. Hugs.

Blessings,

Chatgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment