Friday, July 17, 2015

Commitment redefined...

When the word commitment comes up, we generally think of living with someone or getting married. Sure, people commit to a goal, such as running a marathon,  achieving a career milestone, or schooling for a certain degree. How many of us truly commit to ourselves first and foremost though? My favourite coach and therapist tells me that when I fully have my own back, I will find the life I've been so tirelessly striving for. Hmmm. It's taken me a while to figure this one out, to be honest. I mean, what the hell does that really mean?? Is it so wrong to want romance and passion with another person? Is it so wrong to wanna have a good time and escape life's daily, annoying glitches and hardships? Well, no, of course not he tells me. We just can't look to another person to "complete" us and fill our lives up in ways that really demand our own personal care and attention. This is where most of us sigh and roll our eyes. We've heard it all before... you gotta love yourself first, blah, blah. Another fabulous coach says "you have to be prepared to be the only one - the only one who thinks you're great, the only one who will tirelessly support you." In other words, we have to be prepared to face being alone and/or feel lonely... because we're supposed to be whole all on our own and really, really be sorted - know who we are, what we need and want, be balanced, mature, super duper healthy and all that, blah, blah. Thing is, I'm realizing it isn't blah blah actually. Some very interesting things happen when we have the courage to commit even just a wee bit more to our own life and all of the things we do. Maybe we work an extra hour a day (check!), or we choose to give up just one thing in our diet for better health (for me, that was sweets, which I never thought I'd EVER be able to do because chocolate has been my go-to crutch in life), maybe we go to bed a bit earlier and get up more rested and patient for the day's activities (check!), maybe we become more comfortable and brave in our own skin and watch as people respond to us in a more open and receptive ways (check!... and this is particularly good when you're in sales, like I am). All in all, the whole love ourself first and carefully nurture all aspects of our lives thing is like tending to a garden and watching it grow and flourish. For real! Hugs.

Blessings,

Chatgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment