Tuesday, October 12, 2021

“Working overtime… in our dreams?”…

The stressors of pandemic work life are following us to bed, with more people spending their resting hours dreaming of plexiglass, coughing colleagues and “Zoom calls from hell.” The pandemic has blurred work-life balance and has fuelled a rise in burnout, with most pandemic dreams “indicative of our anxiety,” one expert told The Wall Street Journal. 

— Kelli Nguyen, Editor at LinkedIn News 

This uber-focus on work has been killing me that’s for sure. I love working hard and achieving my goals, but this Covid era productivity is something else and it hasn’t been feeling happy or healthy to me. I went through a stretch this summer where I was not at all myself. The usual skip in my step was gone (temporarily, thank goodness) and my glass half full temperament, had become more like a glass a quarter full at best. My beloved colleagues had noticed, but they totally had my back and said they were feeling the same way. Fewf! But I knew I had to find a way to successfully remove myself from the incessant work worries (and I too have been dreaming/stressing in my sleep… because the business is so damn unpredictable these days, as one would expect of course). Some of the changes I’ve made are working. For example, I don’t allow Smonday to ruin my weekend anymore. My boyfriend and I went out for dinner and had a few drinks to end our weekend and you know what, if felt bloody fantastic. I still woke up with drive and ambition, so nothing lost there. I’ve also given myself permission to sleep in an extra 30 - 60 minutes in the morning because I know I’ll end up being productive anyway. If this pandemic is going to take my peaceful sleep, I’m going to bonus myself during the day and I’m going to enjoy my weekend. In summary, I’m giving myself more rest and the permission to tune out as often as I need to. The work is still getting done, I’m as focused as ever… and now I’m starting to have fun with these little rebellions, Lol. Just sayin’ ;) Hugs. XO

Blessings,

Chatgirl 

No comments:

Post a Comment