Sunday, October 24, 2021

“Reaching the Top Can Kill You Sooner”…

A study of General Electric employees by Tom Nicholas shows how the stress of chasing professional success can shorten an executive’s life…

The historical study of Harvard Business School Professor Tom Nicholas, who tracked the status of mortality rates of more than 1,000 managers and other employees at General Electric starting in the 1930’s, shows that high-level business executives died three to five years earlier on average than lower-level workers at GE, and the research links the deaths to work-related stress. 

“What we’re beginning to understand is that life at the top isn’t that easy.” Says Nicholas, the William J. Abernathy Professor of Business Administration.

The detrimental health impacts of pressure-filled professions are increasingly getting the attention of business leaders, who are not only concerned about the welfare of their workers, but also have an eye on productivity, since research shows that employee wellbeing is associated with firm performance. 

— by Jay Fitzgerald

Food for thought, that’s for sure. The Pandemic seems to be allowing us the opportunity to carefully consider what truly makes us happy, and to be aware of what contributes to/or compromises our overall well being. Personally, I’ve made quite a few work-life balance improvements; I’m no longer willing to let Smonday ruin my weekend, I’m sleeping in a bit more each day (even during the week) and I’m noticing a regular, inner negotiation when my thoughts turn to work during off-hours (as in, do I really need to be thinking about this now, or can it wait until Monday morning. I’ll then add the do-do note to my calendar, so that I know the work will get done first thing Monday. Check. It’s off my mind for now). The results so far: I’m more relaxed and I’m more productive, no question. Just sayin’ ;) Hugs. XO

Blessings,

Chatgirl 



No comments:

Post a Comment