Thursday, August 6, 2015

Things we lean on...

What do we turn to in times of need? Who do we turn to when we really need someone to talk to, but not just anyone? I must not have been comfortable turning to people when I was growing up because I usually turn to things when I struggle. I'm just grateful that my crutches are healthy; writing, yoga, swimming (outside in particular), movies, staring at the ocean, staring at a water/city view, reading helpful books. (Chocolate used to be number one in my life, but I've kicked that habit since my bad break up last August!). I do value the support of my closest friends, but I tend to lean on professionals. Talking to people who love and care about us is great for support, but I've tended to find my most meaningful solutions and guidance from a variety of helping professionals. I'm a psychology major, so of course I believe in the value of therapy. Not everyone does I'm sure and that's ok. Above all, I've come to the conclusion that we have to accept ourselves just as we are, whatever happens. We can make every effort to smooth our rough edges or make adjustments for people we care about, but we can't change who we are, so we pretty much have to embrace ourselves fully and make sure the people in our inner circle do as well. Hugs.

Blessings,

Chatgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment