Friday, June 19, 2015

What are we doing?

What are we doing?

I wonder.... what have I been up to and why? How have I been making my decisions?? If you're like me, you take stock every now and again and ponder... am I where I want to be? Am I in a good relationship? Have I ever truly been in love? Does true love even exist or will we have to compromise in all of our relationships when the honeymoon wears off? If we've failed in our careers or relationships, we can be particularly hard on ourselves and wonder "what the f--k?" Where did I go wrong? What the hell have I been choosing and why?? With numerous job or partner changes, one has to wonder. Am I a commitment phobe? Do I give up too easily? Or have I chosen badly at the outset?

Well, I guess there's no easy answer. Helping professionals will usually trace our crap to early childhood issues. For example, growing up with parents who don't like each other isn't exactly gonna bode well for relationship modelling and if that's what we grew up with, any relationship we get into is gonna seem pretty sweet compared to that. So we can end up on a trial and error path because we actually have no idea what love is. What we experienced growing up was not love and so we don't know what we're aiming for. A very wise therapist said to me "some things are just our legacy. We cannot change the circumstances we were born into. We just have to do our best to manage what we've inherited." Well that's a pretty cool way of looking at things and it lets us off the hook somewhat. I like that:) Hugs.

Blessings,

Chatgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment