Monday, February 12, 2024

Do you have a trauma identity?

It just occurred to me that many people are actually afraid to heal because their entire identity is centred around the trauma they’ve experienced. They have no idea who they are outside of trauma and that unknown can be terrifying. 

— HealthyPlace.com

I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I embarked on therapy. My favourite therapist asked us all in our weekend group session why, in truth, we were there. I admitted that I was only there because my boyfriend (and future ex-husband, Lol) was adamant that I should address my family drama, and I wanted this relationship to work. The therapist also threw up the disclaimer that a weekend workshop is great, but it’s really just the beginning of any healing journey. A journey it has been. It’s 25+ years later and I remain committed to 1 - 2 coaching sessions per month. Life has gotten easier and better, to be sure, but there always seems to be a trigger on the old stuff, or a few new upsets to get off my chest. Just sayin’ :) Hugs and good luck. XO

Blessings,

Chatgirl 

No comments:

Post a Comment