Saturday, August 12, 2023

Are you emotionally resilient?…

Emotionally resilient people are deliberate in their response to painful experiences. They allow themselves to grieve, remind themselves of what they are grateful for, and focus on what they can control in the moment.

But as a Harvard-trained psychologist, I’ve seen so many people struggle with this. It takes effort, practice, and mental strength. 

If you use any of these 9 phrases every day, you are more emotionally resilient than most:
1. I can get through this (shows grit and mental toughness)
2. I’m not going to let myself be a victim (I won’t let this define me or ruin my future)
3. Life is hard (acceptance that life isn’t always fair and there will be emotional hardships)
4. This too shall pass (setbacks and challenges feel horrible in the moment, but will feel less damaging over time)
5. What can I learn from this (openness to experiences and a shift in perspective can lead to empowerment and transformation)
6. I need some time (emotional flexibility, ability to regulate feelings, reducing the intensity of the moment)
7. I still have things to be grateful for (find a way to turn toward the positive, even in tough times)
8. It is what it is (embracing reality allows for radical acceptance, so the situation has less power over us)
9. I’m letting this go (forgiving doesn’t mean it was ok; it just means that I’m no longer letting it weigh me down) 

— Dr Courtenay Warren (paraphrased from “Harvard psychologist: If you use any of these 9 phrases every day, ‘you’re more emotionally resilient than most”, CNBC, Sunday Aug 6 2023) 

My favourite therapist said “the issue I see here is that you want life to be sunny and sunnier.” So we set about arming me with new tools to cope with the inevitable rainy days (individual and group therapy, relationship courses, and lots of sunny vacations). I still find the tough moments stressful, but I accept them as a natural part of life. Just sayin’ :) Hugs and good luck. XO

Blessings,

Chatgirl 




No comments:

Post a Comment