Monday, April 10, 2017

We did our bit...

Success means we go to sleep at night knowing that our talents and our abilities were used in a way that served people. We're compensated by grateful looks in other people's eyes, whatever material abundance supports us in performing joyfully and at high energy, and the magnificent feeling that we did our bit today to help save the world.

- Marianne Williamson, A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles"

Over the years I've noticed that wise people often talk about the importance of volunteering and giving back. They say this sort of selflessness cultivates greater happiness and potentially improves our self-esteem. I don't know that I understood the idea fully. Come to think of it, I look back and realize there's a lot of wisdom that took years to sink in. I'm not sure why that it is, but I guess we learn things in our own way and in our own time. In the end, I've found myself fulfilled by the things I resisted the most; working harder at my career, giving up sugar, saying no when necessary, speaking my truth more often and putting my thoughts out to the world. Making commitments can feel intimidating, as though we're putting too much on the line, but surprisingly my boldest gestures have  blessed me with a deep and meaningful sense of community, safety, pride and fulfillment. Just sayin' :) Hugs. xo

Blessings,

Chatgirl


No comments:

Post a Comment