Friday, October 16, 2020

Letting ourselves off the hook...

I forgive people but that doesn’t mean I accept their behaviour or trust them. I forgive them for me, so I can let go and move on with my life. 

— Unknown

I’ve given forgiveness a lot of thought over the years. I’m a psychology major and I’ve since read loads of books and worked with numerous helping professionals (traditional therapy/life coaching/body talk/Craniosacral Therapy/relationship workshops - all of them worthwhile and life altering)... and still, I found forgiveness quite the process. I’ve just recently found a way to forgive a couple of individuals, with whom I’ve harboured long standing grievances. I gotta tell yah, it feels really good. I’ve been able to find the language that sits right with my heart and mind. I think of the person and say “I know that ____ did the best he/she could at the time. We all have flaws and we all make mistakes. I don’t like what he/she did and it deeply hurt me, but this is a reflection on him/her and not me. I want to be the best person I can be and I’m happy that I’m able to behave in a way that doesn’t hurt people, at least to my knowledge.” Something along those lines, anyway. For me, it feels good to let someone off the hook for their “bad” or “hurtful” behaviour because I also let myself off the hook for some of my own imperfect actions/behaviour. We all have our limitations and we don’t always get it right. Just sayin’ :) Hugs. XO

Blessings,

Chatgirl  


No comments:

Post a Comment