Sunday, June 21, 2020

Not a mind reader...

If I did something wrong, communicate.
If I hurt your feelings, make me aware of it.
If I didn’t listen well enough, tell me again in a way I’ll understand.
If I’m insensitive to your needs, to your desires, or to your thoughts
tell me so I can consider them.
However, don’t ever hold an attitude with me because you haven’t clearly expressed yourself.
I’m a human not a mind reader.

— Sylvester Mcnutt (American four time best-selling author on Amazon. Best known for Care Package, Lust For Life and Free Your Energy)

In addition to private practice, my favourite therapist conducts individual and relationship skills weekend seminars. What’s clear is that our childhood doesn’t necessarily arm us with the coping skills we’ll need as an adult. Personally, I struggled to communicate through conflict and would often freeze or flee (typical, but not ideal coping mechanisms in response to fear). In the weekend seminars I learned how to listen, understand and resolve friction. Often we just need to be heard. Sometimes we need to make a request for different behaviour. Needless to say, all of my relationships improved significantly. Pretty cool. Just sayin’ :) Hugs. XO

Blessings,

Chatgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment