Thursday, November 30, 2017

Making friends with insecurity...

Insecurity is the worst feeling. How exactly do we become secure? Is this our parents’ job? Or do we gain confidence from our abilities, accomplishments and popularity along the way? Well, I did manage to succeed at school, at work, at extra-curiluar activities and with friends. The home life on the other hand, not so much. My parents were angry/depressed/disappointed with their not so happily-ever-after and their exhaustion and frustration with raising three children was very clear to my brother, my sister and me. I get it (given my rocky relationship track record... until now, thankfully), but as a child dependent on the situation, I can’t say I appreciated the weighty baggage I was left to dredge through for years to come (with professional help and a lot of curiosity). I have come to the realization that it is my right to feel angry/hurt/resentful/let down/disappointed/ripped off about the world war three home life I was brought into. On the other hand, my favourite therapist says we have to accept the cards we’re dealt. We have to “own” our story, reconcile the dissonance and move forward with a plan for our best success and happiness. Sure, we’re allowed to feel sorry for ourselves, but at some point we need to become the responsible adult in our lives and start making meaningful and rewarding decisions. In a nutshell, we’re supposed to have our own backs by honourinng what we’re feeling and acting accordingly. Just sayin’ :) Hugs. XO

Blessings,

Chatgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment