Thursday, November 23, 2017

Precious time...

The trouble is, you think you have time.

- Buddha

I had a challenging relationship with my father over the years and spent the majority of our time fearing him and disagreeing with his philosophies and practices. He died at 59 (when I was 33) and I was blown over. I had no idea how this would affect me. I expected to feel relieved. I would no longer suffer his judgments, his disapproval, his narrow view of how I shoud live my life (i.e. be a teacher because this is a great job for a wife and mother. Never mind my personal passions and interests). As the years pass, I realize I would give anything for another crack at moving the needle on his thought processes and beliefs. To his credit, my father worked hard in his later years at establishing a new and improved relationship with his three children. I will always appreciate the special Valentine’s dinner, dancing at the big Italian wedding, Dad teaching me to play golf and him finally listening to my thoughts around his troubled relationship with my mother. So have I miraculously transformed all of my important relationships? Well, I’d like to think my work-in-progress is in good shape. I still struggle to “address” conflict in relationships. It’s not easy to deliver information that might hurt someone. My favourite therapist says we absolutely must draw good boundaries and come clean with our loved ones when we need to make meaningful requests. Just sayin’ :) Hugs. XO

Blessings,

Chatgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment