Sunday, May 8, 2022

A fresh, comforting look at self-affirmation…

Prioritize developing a “multidimensional life.” 

It’s critical to become involved in multiple things that contribute to who you are, such as relationships with family and friends, work, or passions, Steele said. That not only gives you more to draw on for your affirmations, but it also offers other psychological benefits.

“I’m vulnerable if I just have one dimension on which my whole self-regard rides,” he said. “I’m going to be a pretty volatile person.”…

Cresswell suggests affirming who you are by focusing on what you love, such as: I love being a parent. “You’re giving yourself an opportunity to hold up something you value and cherish and not feel like you need to judge it or have a debate about it in your head or in your writing,” he said. “We live our lives sometimes in a busy multitasking, chaotic way, and we can lose sight of things that we really cherish and that give us a sense of purpose.”

— excerpt from Allyson Chiu’s “How to make self-affirmation work, based on science,” from The Washington Post, May 2 2022 

I don’t know about you, but I find this idea particularly comforting. Considering ourselves as multidimensional, valuable individuals, based on our relationships, hobbies and passions takes the pressure off of work and performance and allows us to focus on deeper, heart-related matters. I love that. And hats off to you parents out there. I’m an auntie/stepmom in my world, with minimal parental responsibilities, and I see the commitment and dedication to your kids. It’s impressive and honourable. Just sayin’ : ) Hugs. XO 

Blessings,

Chatgirl 



No comments:

Post a Comment