Saturday, August 14, 2021

Loss of enthusiasm…

Never push a loyal person to the point where they no longer care.

— Unknown 

I remember reading an article in the Air Canada magazine a ways back (I didn’t note the author unfortunately) that talked about how “the employee is the new slave.” I don’t know about you, but this really resonated for me. I certainly have a couple of grievances as an employee (which my colleagues have echoed along the way), having worked for both larger, reputable companies and small, local companies. First off, when it comes to performance appraisals, it’s pretty much mission impossible to achieve top marks, regardless of the level of over-achievement and success in checking all necessary boxes. (Mercifully, I hear some companies have abandoned the more archaic grading system of rating a certain percentage under under-achieving, most as average, regardless of performance, with maybe one or two employees, targeted for promotion, as over-achieving). Second, whether reasonable or not, the company always wants more. At some point, there’s a disconnect from reality and achievability, and perhaps a what’s the point attitude, isn’t there? Sure, you’re gonna work hard enough to keep your job, but enthusiasm and engagement are sure to wane. Am I right? Just sayin’ :) Hugs. XO

Blessings,

Chatgirl 

No comments:

Post a Comment