Friday, January 19, 2024

Regrets of the dying (and those left behind)…

  • I wish I’d dared to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
  • I wish I hadn’t worked so hard.
  • I wish I’d dared to express my feelings.
  • I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
  • I wish I had let myself be happier.
— Bronnie Ware (Palliative care nurse and author of Top Five Regrets of the Dying)

My father, who was the picture of health (very athletic, organic eater, minimal drinker, non-smoker) got sick at 59, and when we found out it was terminal, we were shocked. When the doctors said there was nothing to be done, he cried and so did my two uncles. One of the saddest moments I’ve ever witnessed. To watch three grown men cry together, wow. I know my Dad had regrets. I didn’t realize I would have big regrets as well. If I could go back in time, I would have more conversations with my Dad, to understand him better and connect on a deeper level. Just sayin’ :) Hugs and good luck. XO

Blessings,

Chatgirl 

No comments:

Post a Comment