Sunday, March 13, 2022

Positive intent…

Assume the best intent in others around you. You will often be right, and even when you’re not, people can rise to your view of them. Not always, but enough to be worth it.

— Sally Krawcheck 

I would consider myself a compassionate, empathetic and very positive person, and yet I also notice how quickly I can jump to judgment. I was sitting in a coffee shop early one Sunday morning many years ago, staring at the water, daydreaming, enjoying my coffee in sweet solitude. There was literally no one else in the cafe, aside from two barista’s, who were chatting far away in the background. Then, enter a sort of older couple with a young child, approximately 4 years old. This group’s goings on quickly shattered my peaceful thoughts, and to top it all off they sat right smack beside me at the window bar area. I was actually devastated because I desperately needed this time to myself, to decompress ahead of a demanding work week. Out of my peripheral vision I could see the little girl spilling her granola/yogurt breakfast all over the counter and leaving a multitude of muffin crumbs all over the floor by her feet and mine as well. Grrrr. Now, I am admittedly a neat freak/bordering on OCD person, so this too killed my serene Sunday morning. The couple was also a bit rumpled with messy hair, untidy clothing and there was a noticeable accent. Well, my ego was having hay day with these people, judging them all up and down. Then something completely unexpected happened. The woman apologized for the disarray they were causing around me and she proceeded to share a bit of information about them and their grand daughter. This lady, her husband and the child turned out to be quite sweet. The woman was a psychologist who was writing a very interesting book (and I am a HUGE fan of psychology and exploring human nature). As they were leaving she ended up telling me that they thought I was super lovely and I silently scolded myself for the rest of the day. I vowed never to snap judge anyone again. Or at least remind myself when I do and adjust my thoughts accordingly. Just sayin’ :) Hugs. XO 

Blessings,

Chatgirl 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment