Sunday, August 16, 2020

Pure and sincere motivation...

Motivation is so important. In fact all human action can be seen in terms of movement, and the mover behind all actions is one’s motivation. If you develop a pure and sincere motivation, if you are motivated by a wish to help on the basis of kindness, compassion, and respect, then you can carry on any kind of work, in any field, and function more effectively with less fear or worry, not being afraid of what others think of whether you ultimately will be successful in reaching your goal. Even if you fail to achieve your goal, you can feel good about having made the effort. 

— Dalai Lama

According to Sujan Patel (forbes.com), psychologists have identified three primary sources of resistance to getting things done; the “have to” resistance (very few things create a resistance as effectively as being forced to do something, so we’re supposed to focus on the benefits of our actions and not the “have to” aspect), the “I don’t feel right about this” resistance (by changing the task, we can perhaps work on a trade-off, so that we feel better about what’s in front of us), the “I can’t do this” resistance (we can choose to focus on the fact that effort creates excellence, so we will very likely get better at and accomplish the task at hand). Personally, my biggest motivation came when I was at my lowest career/life moment. I vowed to never be in this position again and set about overhauling my approach to work and life. I set higher standards (which I put on paper) for my daily work to do. I was determined to be indispensable and so worked harder every single day than I normally would (and 7 years later I’m still hitting record results and financial rewards). I also wrote out a more realistic vision of my perfect relationship/partner. I realized that to live happily with someone long term, goals/values/lifestyle have to be very closely aligned. (Bit of a late bloomer on that fact, Lol, but it paid off big!). I’ve always been a pretty healthy person, but I did work at eating less sugar, which I realized was a bit of a crutch. I try to eat nuts and fruit instead of cookies/chocolate most days, but when I really want something yummy, I go for it and then get back on track. Above all, I consciously made these decisions because I wanted a great outcome and I’m happy to maintain these commitments because the results are infectious. Just sayin’ :) Hugs. XO

Blessings,

Chatgirl 


No comments:

Post a Comment