Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Just underneath the beautiful surface...

Today there are societies that are very developed materially, yet among them there are many people who are not very happy. Just underneath the beautiful surface of affluence there is a kind of mental unrest, leading to frustration, unnecessary quarrels, reliance on drugs or alcohol, and in the worst case, suicide. So  there is no guarantee that wealth alone can give you the joy or fulfillment that your are seeking. 

— Dalai Lama

I was commiserating with a good friend during the 2008 financial crisis. Sadly, a couple of his friends had recently committed suicide. He offered, “I know I’m pretty much losing everything right now, but you know what? I’ll always have the ocean.” Brilliant. My friend is a die hard kite surfer and he says nothing compares to the high he gets on the water. Brilliant. I’m a big fan of swimming outside myself, so I get that. Just sayin’ :) Hugs. XO

Blessings,

Chatgirl  




No comments:

Post a Comment