Friday, September 11, 2026

Embracing our lives as they really are (and forgiving our limitations)…

Practice is not about overcoming human problems. It’s not about becoming serene or transcendent. It’s about embracing our lives as they really are, and understanding at every point how deep and profound and gorgeous everything is - even the suffering, even the difficulty. So we forgive ourselves for our limitations, and we forgive the world for its pain.

We don’t say, “That’s not pain.” It is pain. You don’t say “It’s not difficult.” It is difficult. But when we embrace the difficulty… we see this is exactly the difficulty we need. And this difficulty is the most beautiful and poignant thing in this world. 

— Zoketsu Norman Fischer 

This is a quote provided by my favourite therapist, and life guru (Joel Brass, based in British Columbia. He conducts brilliant in person seminars/relationship courses, and offers virtual therapy as well). I’ve learned to follow this profound advice. While counter-intuitive, I continue to see how facing the um-faceable de-mystifies and de-stigmatizes some of the most scary and tumultuous challenges. Currently, I am dealing with a scary cancer diagnosis, and “leaning into” the immense fear and unknown allowed me to cultivate a deeper strength and resolve than I could have imagined. Just sayin’ :) Hugs and good luck. XO

Blessings,

Chatgirl 


No comments:

Post a Comment