Saturday, March 16, 2019

Handling criticism...

Learn how to take criticism seriously but not personally.

— Hillary Clinton

We don’t necessarily learn the best communication skills from our family of origin. I don’t think public schools are focused on teaching us how to better relate to one another either. I have a huge interest in psychology and why we do (or don’t do) what we do. I’m also interested in the dynamics between people. Above all, however, I thank my most contentious relationship for leading me to improved relationship skills. Whatever our differences, we were both interested in learning how to successfully navigate our relationship. In the end, we parted, but I learned how to invite feedback from my loved ones and care about their experience, rather than feel defensive. I learned that we can share “information” and our feelings/desires without judging one another, which often leads to a more pleasant negotiation and outcome. One footnote: I also learned that it is absolutely essential to begin this exercise with a compatible partner. Just sayin’ ;) Hugs. XO

Blessings,

Chatgirl

No comments:

Post a Comment